Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Disappointments, Perseverance, Never Give Up!

You think you've found the ideal building until the phone rings. The call begins with a pause, and then the slow, pained words "Unfortunately due to the building being in an industrial area the business you are starting wouldn’t fit the code criteria, it would only fit under commercial." Then some words of encouragement to keep looking. The dream has had many highs and lows, along with some "what if's." You second-guess yourself. Maybe one of those less-than-ideal buildings I passed up could have worked for awhile? Time to focus on other things. Time for some ice cream. But... I know a lot about gym locations and I know that many gymnastic schools are allowed in industrial areas. Why not in Eau Claire? So what if I fail? Why not try to make a case for it here?  So that is what I did. I contacted the City and found out what to do, how to apply and make a case for an amendment to change the rules. My husband and I researched the Industrial statutes of every medium to large city in Wisconsin and found some surprising facts. More often than not, cities such as Janesville, Madison, Beloit, Green Bay, Wausau, etc., DO allow some types of indoor recreational use in industrial areas. It wasn't a lost cause, the city agreed, and we won!

No comments:

Post a Comment